6 Signs of a Healthy Marriage
Re-posted blog from Wed, 20 Oct 2010
The president of Focus on the Family, Jim Daly, shared the six signs of a healthy marriage in a recent newsletter. It is important for singles to know these signs also...especially in that process of meeting, dating and marriage. The research is from Dr John Gottman, professor emeritus of psychology at University of Washington and founder of Gottman Relationship Institute.
1. There are high levels of friendship, respect, affection and humor.
2. There is a ratio of 5:1 or better of positive to negative interactions during conflict. During normal conversation the ratio is 20:1.
3. There are successful responses to "bids for connection", ie. spouses respond to each other's attempt to connect and interact.
4. There are softened start-ups for conversation about disagreements.
5 The husband accepts influence from his wife.
6. The spouses are aware of and respect the other's needs, likes and dislikes.
Focus on the Family has a counseling line at 800-A-FAMILY or visit the website at FocusOnTheFamily.com